Friday 12 November 2010

Mission 5 - Games on the Galaxy Tab

As soon as Samsung posted Mission 5 – to review a game on my new Galaxy Tab – I knew exactly what I was going to download. The infamous Angry Birds.
Having never owned an Apple product, or an Android phone, I’ve never had the chance to play this much talked about game, except for the few times when I’ve been able to steal my younger brother’s iPod (which never lasted long as it was always swiped from me fairly quickly). So as soon as I turned on my Tab, I went straight to the marketplace and downloaded Angry Birds.
It is amazing! And the 7” display on the Galaxy Tab makes it look even better than it does on the smaller screen of an iPod Touch. Also, I love the zoom out feature, which lets you see the full game area on one screen. However, the only annoying thing is the fact that there are ads in-game at the top right of the screen, but this does not distract from gameplay at all in my opinion, as it doesn’t interfere with the birds in any way!
So, about the game. I’m sure the vast majority of the population already know about this game, but for those who don’t, here’s a quick rundown. Basically, some naughty green pigs have stolen eggs from the birds, and this has made them angry – hence the title. The birds want their revenge, and so have set up catapults outside the pigs hideouts, which they jump into. It is your job to fire the birds at the pigs, collapsing their stronghold, and destroying them.
There are different types of birds, each which has its own specific strength – the yellow bird goes faster if you tap it, the tiny grey bird splits into three causing maximum damage, the white bird lays an egg bomb, and the black bird explodes on landing. The skills of each of the birds ensure that all the pigs are hit, and the angry birds get their revenge on the naughty green pigs.
As well as different types of birds, there are also different types of pigs. The small ones are usually destroyed with one hit, the larger ones take two hits, and the pigs cleverly wearing helmets take multiple hits before exploding.
With hundreds of levels, this game has kept me amused for hours on end! At each level, there is the opportunity to earn three stars, which are gained by earning points. Points are accumulated by destroying pigs and their surroundings with as few birds as possible. I’ve found it difficult to earn all three stars on many of the levels, so I’m sure the pursuit of piggy perfection will keep me entertained for a long time.
I love these little angry birds, and I shall be helping them in their quest to destroy the green pigs for a very long time!

1 comment: